Saturday, October 11, 2008

U redu (ok), here I am

So… it’s been more than a week since I’ve landed in Srbija.

During this time I’ve been trying to absorb and filter the information, trying to understand my position, from inside out.


On the day that I arrived my conscience was too blurry, as a result of the exhaustion from departure and 5 hours of flying across Europe. It felt like Summer. I was expecting to put on the coat that I was holding in my arm since I left Lisboa as soon as I landed, but in the end I had to take off my sweater and feel as if I was still in Portugal.


My colleague and flatmate Nuno was at the airport with our “boss” Nataša. From there we passed through Sremski Karlovci where the Organisation where I’m volunteering has an Ecological Centre.

After that, we headed to Novi Sad, to Bonaca Hotel (it reads “Bonátsa), a place that rents apartments. There I slept the rest of my first day in Srbija. I slept for around 15 hours…


On the day after, there was a meeting at the office of Pokret Gorana i Volonterski Centar Vojvodine / Volunteers’ Centre of Vojvodina and Nature Conservation Movement. I got to know my colleagues, my workplace and heard some encouraging welcome words from ‘Aleks, the President.


Officially, I only started my working time 5 days after my arrival, which gave me time to have my honeymoon with the city of Novi Sad, without wondering about anything else. I’ve walked, got lost, found the way home again, met some people, made some friends, tried the food, felt the cold that arrived two days after me…


When the cold period started I felt I was back to childhood. Cold in the countries that we can say that are cold, which means in countries where people actually live with snow, gives me a special feeling of comfort. When from inside we look outside the window and we guess the cold. Then we put our coat on, under it a fluffy woollen shirt, our scarf, thick trousers and a smile of one who wants to tickle the nose with the fresh air that welcomes you outside.

The yellow, orange, brown leafs make a carpet that softens the ground and make the feet float while one slides through the alley of tall trees that lead the way. The blue sky that tells you that cold doesn’t have to mean rain, but that you should enjoy each moment of Sun, for soon enough there will be clouds. Then it will rain, then it will snow…


The weather changed a few days after that and now there’s Summer here again. I expose my skin to it, trying to suck as much energy from it as I can, for I know that in one week we will have one less hour of light, which means that at 4pm we’ll start feeling that the day is ending.


People are warm. When I’m recognized as a foreigner, I get a smile and an expression on the face that shows compassion and curiosity.


I still don’t know how to ask for things in a shop or restaurant, on a personal matter that’s where I feel that I need to evolve the most, for now.


Walking alone through Novi Sad is the thing that has been satisfying me the most so far.


On the working sphere, there have been some misunderstandings and challenges.

My expectations have not been met and as much as I can do to try to make this a rewarding volunteering experience, it will be very complicated to achieve my prior goal.

I’m putting my effort into finding alternative ways to the situation and it’s all much in the very begging to come to conclusions, so I know the most useful tool I can keep now is patience.


There is an extremely high possibility that I will end this experience earlier that planed, making it last 6 months. I’ll be giving you my feedback on this…


I’ll now leave you with some pictures I took. So far I haven’t been going out with the camera that much, but I’m sure that soon I’ll be doing it more often.


A lot of themes were not approached in this post, like my dear mentor Aleksandra, the language course, the accommodation, the Portuguese lessons that I’ve started lecturing in cooperation with Nuno and a lot more… This was just a start. Can’t give it all in one post, right?


Keep tuned, on the next episode you’ll read about the Police Trilogy, already consecrated the greatest literary success of the year 2008!...


Yours truly, with saudade no peito e alma,

~Natureza~




The view from breakfast table at the apartment, on the first morning





At Sremski Karlovci, the town where Pokret Gorana has an Ecological Centre




Novi Sad



On the right you can see a green logo. This is the entrance to the office of Pokret Gorana, my working place.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good photos :). really beautiful!!


/www.mymusicromance.blogspot.com